Monday, March 06, 2006

So... What am I expecting from the course?

- to be able to discuss the -isms with some knowledge,
- to read (and respond to) the key modernist texts
- to develop an awareness of the shift of writing styles
- emphasis on the aesthetics of writing, of reading these texts as an enjoyable and meaningful experience -> putting the "fun" back in.

So, I want to find, in the course and the texts, my own version of
*Joyce's "epiphany"
*Hopkins' "inscape"
*Woolf's "moment of being"
*Benjamin's "jetztzeit" (literally, "now time")

In my (limited) experiences with modm, the thing that sticks is the use of open endings - stories/ novels that are more true to reailty, where events don't always resolve themselves. ('A Girl in the Head' from last year's ENGL317).

Also -> from Faulkner's 'S&F' - the shifts in time, orchestrated by Faulkner to provoke the reader - combine meanings and move scenes to echo each other, to be 'inside'. The world is also moved 'inside'.

The world - structured symbolically/ metaphorically.[Remember, it's transcendent, but without God]

I think I also expect to see some experiments in form. I'm not sure how.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Super color scheme, I like it! Good job. Go on.
»

2:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home